Sunday, November 14, 2010

What I love about Airtel Blackberry 8520 !



Blackberry 8520 Smart Phone

I tried Blackberry 8520 I really liked it. The finish is not as great as Blackberry 8900, but it is only for 16K. I am trying to find if I can get it for less. Here is a comparison between the two:

The best thing I like about 8520 is the trackpad (just like the trackpad on the laptop). It is better than a track-wheel. My hands get sweaty and greasy and makes trackball difficult to use at times. Over a period of time dirt/lint also tends to find its way inside the trackwheel compartment and has to be opened for cleaning. The trackpad is so responsive! All new BlackBerry Phones from now on will have the trackpad.The difference between Curve 8520 Vs Curve 8900:-

Camera: 2MP Vs. 3.1 MP. 2MP is enough for phone camera. The BlackBerry 8520 has 2MP camera with 1600 x 1200 pixels. It also comes with QVGA that enables me to capture my best moments of life. To click good quality pictures I already have a proper camera. For 4 x 6” (10 x 15 cm) prints, a VGA camera (640 x 480 or 0.3 MP) resolution is good enough. 

Display resolution: 8900 is much better. But 8520 is pretty good too. It's much better than my current phone and I never felt any problems with the current one. The screen size is fairly big. I do not intend to watch videos on it or I would have gone for something like the iPhone.

Trackpad: I love the trackpad of Blackberry 8520. This mobile phone comes well equipped with touch-sensitive optical trackpad along with music dedicated keys. It also supports QWERTY Keyboard that is useful for easy typing your messages.

RAM: 128 Vs. 256 - Both have the same processor (512) and without the 3G in either of them 128MB is more than enough to run any application. The BlackBerry 2520 also has 256 MB internal memory.  3G will probably take over a year to be rolled out and better phones would come out then. I will probably switch to a better version of Bold or Storm once that happens.

GPS: 8520 does not have GPS. Google maps triangulation has been good enough for me (not exact, but close enough). This feature will permit you to pinpoint your locations by triangulating between cell towers. I have just downloaded My Location app to my mobile phone and after that, it pinpointed me to within a block of my place. Have you tried this? You can search the map, get directions etc. Pretty much like a GPS Enabled Device.

Finish: 8900 has a better finish/is more stylish. But 8520 seemed sturdier to me. There are no chrome plated parts. Sides have rubber so the paint wont wear off from constant friction in the pocket. If dropped, the rubber side panel should absorb the impact better. 8520 is much cheaper and dropping it wont hurt me as much : )

If I was spending 26K I would spend a little more just get the bold which is actually better (3G, screen, processor). This is what I was planning to do, but new Blackberry bold and Blackberry storm are about to come. Their launch and getting a good deal on them would take a few months, SO I am buying this with the idea to replace it after a year if it is worth doing so.
By concluding, if you are not taking the iPhone, you should try the Blackberry 8520. I think it is excellent for its price as well as its features. Very little incremental benefit for the amount you pay on upgrading to the current 8900 or bold.

No comments:

Post a Comment